St Peter's Church
St Peter's History
In the year 1872, a number of black Anglicans who had emigrated from the Bahamas to Key West found no church where they could worship in the manner in which they had been accustomed. United by a common bond, these "High Church" Anglicans decided to found their own church. This was--to borrow from Victor Hugo--"an idea whose time had come."

In 1875, St. Peter's was organized as a parish, making it the oldest black parish in the diocese. The present church cornerstone was laid in 1924.

Over the years, St. Peter's has experienced the usual peaks and valleys, with as many as 500 communicants to as few as a couple of dozen. For many years, St. Peter's educated many black children with a parochial school in Bahama Village, a neighborhood in the historic district of Old Town, Key West, settled in the mid-1800's by free Bahamian blacks.

The current Vicar (vicarious representative of the Bishop) is the Very Rev. Donald Sullivan, who serves the congregation on a part-time basis, and enjoys his "porch ministry" to sundry locals and tourists from the veranda of the Vicarage. We're happy to be experiencing an increase in membership in a jewel of a church in Old Town, Key West. Thanks be to God!
St Peter's Schedule
SUNDAY EUCHARIST
Holy Eucharist 10:00 am
Sunday School (Sep. through June) 9:30 am
THURSDAY EUCHARIST
Holy Eucharist with Healing Litany
and Laying on of Hands 8:00 am
St Peter's Vicar
Rev. Donald Sullivan
The Very Rev.
Donald Sullivan
Vicar of St. Peter's
Dean of the Keys

Vicarage 305.295.6497
Cell 305.510.9829

"St. Peter's is a magical community of faith in Key West with both the tradition of its Bahamian foundation and others who have found a home here over the years. Come and see."